Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Richmond (was: Forbes story)

>From: Michael B Holt <tlohm@juno.com>
> On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 14:30:52 -0500 "E.L. King"  writes:

> > as a long-time aficionado of Naval history, especially the
> >American
> >Civil War era, I can honestly say that I don't consider Richmond the
> >ultimate backwater....
>
> The last excitement here that made any sense or any difference
> happened in April of 1865.  No one cares about the mundane
> work of building a classic America Victorian city, which is exciting
> in a way understood by a very small group.
>
> I am poking around to uncover traces of the Confederate submarine
> projects.   Apparently, there was a "submarine service" that was
> more about mines than boats, but there was a part of it that was
> involved in the design, construction and testing of boats within
> sight of where I live now.   So far, Mark Ragan's book remains the
> best resource on the topic, but I'll add to his work when I can.

Here is an interesting site that covers Civil War Nautica:

Dolphin Street Shipyard

http://www.shipbuildersreport.com/

http://www.shipbuildersreport.com/Extras/cairo.html

There are some nice schematics of the "The Cairo" a
Civil War gunboat.

The drawings are modern, and include framing plans,
deck layout, external views of the boat and drawings
of the major machinery components.

I have other references...ie., the "Hunley" "Pook Turtles" etc.

--Steve