RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] FEA

Thanks

Tim R.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean T. Stevenson [mailto:sts@telus.net]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 9:03 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] FEA

Tim, I think ALGOR makes a seamless FEA plugin for Inventor, although I have
not used this myself.  I also do modelling in Inventor, but primarily use
IDEAS for FEA.  If the models you are analyzing are very simple, Mechanical
Desktop has some limited FEA functionality within it.

Be careful with FEA, though.  It's all too easy to assume that the numbers
the system spits out are correct.  You need to make some concerted reality
checks, since no matter how complex the load case you define is, it
typically is only an approximation of reality.  Your FEA model will be
different than the actual prototype, since you typically eliminate such
features as weld fillets and minor holes - features which may have little
bearing on strength, but are a significant factor in stress concentration
and fatigue life.  You need to consider such things in addition to the FEA
results.

Good luck.

-Sean