Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Alternative hull material.

Price Kevlar...You'll be back to steel. No, I'm not
one of those nuts that insists only steel will work
for a hull, but it DOES work. Composites will take
the lead, if the research is done, which it will be.
Kevlar, though, will take some time. I was in a
design discussion for a recreational sub hull before,
and the design ended up as two thin shells of
fiberglass that had a layer of glass matrix between
them. Resin was then slowly drawn in through a hole
in the bottom of the hull. The engineering brains
that went into the design ensure me that the hull
would be stronger then steel and cheaper to make.
Kevlar? Do you have some cheap source, Mike? If so...

Warren.