Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Compass instruments

On Saturday, Feb 22, 2003, at 11:55 US/Central, Alec Smyth wrote:

> I just re-read your message. My first response was in a bit of a rush,
> as my wife was calling from downstairs that the house was flooding due
> to the melting snow. But priorities are priorities, and I had to
> finish my PSUBS message!

Besides -- what're you gonna do: Make the snow stop melting? You folks
must be buying out all the shop-vacs and bilge pumps at the local
hardware stores... No snow melting here today -- high of about 10.

> Anyway, between you and Cliff I'm really indebted for the research.
> Imagine if I went out and spent a couple of thousand dollars on an
> electric gyro only to find out what you just said about the 15 minute
> duration! But my question is this... if you put a fluxgate in the
> sail, it should work whether you're surfaced or submerged. What's the
> need for having a gyro as well?

I was reading a couple of earlier messages in this thread, and was
wondering whether this limitation on aircraft gyros is due to an
expense issue, or a national security one -- as in, the technology for
really solid fancy IMU's is controlled due to its usefulness in stuff
like missile guidance. A relative of a relative of a friend works for a
company that builds and tests stuff like that (laser gyros, is what I
heard) and apparently part of the job of his lab is testing
export-grade equipment to make sure it's _not too accurate_. Weird.

Apparently, I've missed part of this discussion... and am lazy. What is
a fluxgate? Is that the name for the thingamagig the electronic compass
in my car uses?

- - -
David
buchner@wcta.net