[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Compass instruments

Hi Alec, nice to hear from you - I still think that "Solo" is the best
choise for a name of a selfbuild onemansub ;-) The question is so good
that I transmit the answer to Psubs...

I found out that an aircraft gyro need to be compensate all 10-15
minutes by a .. magnetic compass.. Its not a joke - on smaller crafts
the pilots do it by hand - fly straight course, same speed and level
than turn the compensate switch with his eyes looking on the magnetic
compass.

On bigger or modern aircrafts this compensation is done automaticly by
an interlink between the gyro and the magnetic compass.. The reason for
that is that a ships gyro - which is north stabilzied needs some time
(hours) before he works properly - and is much bigger and heavier.

I go this way : An aircaft gyro compensate by hand with the information
form a pretty small magnetic fluxgate sensor about 1.5 (5 feet) on top
of the sail at on one of the radio antennas.

The only question concerned me : Is there a problem with the radio VHF
antenna and the fluxgate magnetic sensor ?

See you Carsten