From: Cliff Redus
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2003 5:03 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure hull

Thijs,

Even though this hull design is very different from the normal PSUB hull, it does have a number of nice features.  It fits well with a streamlined FRP outer shell in that it presents a smaller projected area to flow relative to other hull shapes that will accommodate a seated pilot.  For it displacement, it also has good freeboard and might actually make it possible to meet the ABS 2.5 ft (76 cm) minimum freeboard rule for a small boat without destroying the hydrodynamic lines of the boat.  The viewport locations are great for forward and downward viewing. Side viewports could be easily added to improve port and starboard visibility  Because all viewports are flat, the cost becomes manageable for a PSUB.  Orientation of MBTs are going to take some thought in order not to have the CB of the boat to close to the bow.  I am not sure I would go with mild steel for hull.  You should be able to find off the shelf torispherical endcaps made of a higher yield point steel such as A516, Gr 70 or something equivalent without significantly impacting the hull cost.  I agree with Alec that it would be a good idea to run an FE analysis of the hull including viewports to get a better handle on crush depth.  I am not sure the ABS equations to calculated hull stress are applicable given such a short cylindrical section.

I for one like the hull.

Cliff