From: "Thijs Struijs" <thijs-struijs@planet.nl>
To: "PSUBS" <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 3:02 AM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure hull

To all,

I would like some reactions on a drawing i made a while ago. You can
find it at:
http://www.prismnet.com/~moki/20030126.073208/doubleXendXcapX.jpg .
The idea is to construct a very simple pressure hull out of two
torispherical endcaps. The conning "tower" is made out of a standard
line pipe with a little overdimensioned wallthickness and the smallest
possible diameter. The endcaps are made with a small cilindrical section
on it but i am afraid that the tower will intersect with the
torispherical part.
In order to keep it simple i chose a very common steel for the endcaps.
It is P265GH (yield strenght 265 n/mm^2, 38500 psi, tensile strenght 410
n/mm^2, 59500 psi). This is an "off the shelf" material at Afflerbach,
the german manufacturer. I think you could call it soft boiler steel.
To calculate the strenght of it (apart from the conningtower and
viewports) one can use the formulas for a sphere, using the dishing
radius of the endcap (in this case 1040 mm). Maybe it is my age, to much
alcohol or lack of intelligence but watever method i use (ABS, Lloyd's
or an old pressure vessel codebook) i get different outcommings. Can
anyone of you say something sensible on this? I am considdering a
wallthickness of 12 mm, divingdepth 100 mtr?
If it is ever going to be build it will be tested unmanned to a depth
50% more than its safe working depth. Should it collapse i will hold no
one responsible for that. So please be free to give your advise.

Thank you very much,

Thijs Struijs