Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Welcome to the Personal_Submersibles_Discussion

Why don't you just invent a teleportation device and "beam me down" in a plastic garbage bag.  Oh yea, don't forget the synthetic gills that will be surgically implanted prior to the dive.  What ya smokin'?

Ty
----- Original Message -----
From: BauWauHausDesign@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Monday, January 27, 2003 7:07 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Welcome to the Personal_Submersibles_Discussion

In a message dated 1/27/03 4:20:36 PM Pacific Standard Time, jbarlow@bjservices.ca writes:

At the bottom of the ocean, were I in a balloon, would not also the balloon
be flat, unless I increase the presure inside the balloon to equal the
outside?

Well you'd actually be round, much smaller but still round.
since you are round the water pressure is coming from all sides equally, so you get smaller but stay round.

Also doesn't the boat have to weigh the same as the water displaced in
order to sink?  So unless it is filled with internal ballast tanks it would
have to weigh the roughly the same as a metal hulled boat?

Just a clarification please?

Well it's not a boat, its a subaquatic vehicle. to think in design terms of boat or plane is limiting. It's our need psychologically to remain afloat that causes us to make these jumps of thought. Backward jumps. By thinking of ballast and implosion is to see the challenge through the lens of someone you is still thinking of staying above water. A dance with pressure/implosion, not a battle against.
But to answer your question, yes, to sink a boat you must exceed its displacement (weight/surface area blah, blah..)

Thanks for writing

Jeffrey