Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] OSS Pressure hull basic layout.

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:33:37 +0800
"Warrend Greenway" <dub@linuxmail.org> wrote:
> Here's the reason I would want two  hatches: This is a two man sub. Do I really want
> two hatches? You've got to be kidding me! Heck no! But I also have never been a big fan
> of slithering like a snake. Not my style. If the hull diameter was greater then I would
> advocate a single hatch.

Make the passenger sit up front then. ;-)

I think with some well placed hand rails you could get in and out of the
forward seating position without too much "slithering".

Would somebody who has sub like to comment on this?

> Gosh this weight constraint makes things exciting! It wouldn't be that difficult at
> all if this was a one man, but two...Whoa. What about a large conning tower with both
> passengers back-to-back? It's not like the view behind the sub would be any less exciting
> for the passenger...Well, let's see if we can bang out something...

I've thought of something like that a few times.
(check http://www.prismnet.com/~moki/subfiles.html for a diagram).
But I'm not sure how comfortable it would be without making the hull pretty big
(or using an out of around shape for the coning tower).

Ian.