Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] article on the OSS

Hi John,
Let me give you some answers... First the advantage of
pwm is to give you flexibility and reduce the energy
consumption (compared to a high power potentiometer).
Have you tried to switch (even with a relay) high
current? If you're not choosing expensive relays, the
spark generated every switch on/off will solder or
destroy your contacts. Don't forget that your motor is
mainly an inductor and when you're opening/closing the
circuit you generate high current peak...
 You can use either power mosfet or igbt in parallel,
depending on the current you need to drive. My motor
controller board is driven by a microcontroller (I use
both 812 Microconverter from Analog devices and
C8051F020 from Cygnal for the PWM control,
instrumentation (pressure, depth gauge, O2, H2, CO2,
water detection, valves control,...) connected
together with a RS485 bus for noise immunity and an
option for optical and radio communication to avoid
through hull connection). Both of them are Intel 8051
compatible but much much more faster (up to 25MIPS for
the cygnal) and include memory, Analog to Digital
converter, Digital to Analog converter, PWM generator,
Temperature sensor, Comparator....

I've chosen this solution because:
1/ I wanted to be able to ramp up the current to drive
the motor at each start to avoid current peak and high
mechanical constraint.
2/ I wanted to have a system flexible enough to be
controlled with both system: a computer for
autocruise, and a joystick in manual mode.
3/ As I'm going to use up to 6 motors, I want to have
a modular system. Each of these boards is also
monitoring the motor temperature, water leaking, and
pressure compensation. I can drive up to 120A under 12
or 24V on each board.
4/ Compared to a high power relay board, mine is 2/3
to 1/2 smaller (including the heat sink)

Laurent

=====