Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] OSS spec sheet

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 11:58:57 +0800
"Warrend Greenway" <dub@linuxmail.org> wrote:

> Wow! I thought getting it in a 6000lb window would be tough! 4000lbs? I think
> we would have to go to a one man or "couple" sub. If we get down to that size.
> Any full size Dodge pickup with a v8 or diesel will tow 10,000 without problems.
> I thought our European friends would be the limiting factor!

I think reality is the limiting factor, maybe it's because we
haven't discussed the reason behind designing this submarine.
But the larger the sub is the less chance somebody who has never
built a sub will have of completing.  The K-350 weighs in at
3500lb and from what I've heard, still isn't the easy project
to finish.

I did like the idea of taking the drop weights off and transporting
them seperately.  You can always take the drop weights to the launch
site first, then get the submarine.  Or better still get somebody else
to transport the drop weights.

This does add another step when taking the submarine for a dive.
Also you might have to fit the drop weights after you launch the
sub and remove them before you take it out of the water, mainly
because the vehicle used to tow the sub out of the water will
have a lot of work to do on the launch ramp.  Getting wet every
time you want to take the sub out might not be much fun.

They are other solutions to launching and removing the sub,
such as giving it powered wheels so it can drive out
on it's own, or maybe a electric power trailer with it's
own ballast tank, you could sink it under the sub and
then fill the trailers balast tanks with air, then use
electric motors to let the trailer drive the sub out
of the water... but these ideas require more engineering....

The having a one person version of the OSS that is around
4000lb and a two person that is around 6000lb seems like
a better idea.

Ian.