From: "Warrend Greenway" <dub@linuxmail.org>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2003 11:28 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Adopt a standard and focus the disscussion.

> I have ASME standards books, but I am interested in ABS. Can
> you send me a link to where I can get an ABS book?
>
> Warren.
>
> > I suggest you fellows adopt a standard like ABS and ASME and then
discuss your design in an ordered fashion as set forth within the standard.
Everyone has access to the ABS rules for building and classing subs and can
then discuss design in a fashion that puts everyone on the same page. You
could start with Section 6 for instance, design the shell and do the
calculations and then reference the other codes. I'm not suggesting you
build a sub that totally adheres to ABS but this will give everyone
experience in defining all the variables (Like what exactly is the distance
of the centroid of the stiffener cross section alone to the closer shell
surface, ect ect.). I believe everyone's understanding of a Psub will
progress in a more effective manner, going from "uh, that would be cool" to
" hey, I want to know if it will really work and meet the cool factor too."
Coming up with real numbers and discussing or debating the real meanings
behind some of the, not so straight forward !
> verbage, in these standards (in my opinion) is what makes a real subman.
As this approach will provide the tools necessary in the collective design,
individuals can test their "secret" ideas as applicable in their personal
designs.