[PSUBS-MAILIST] FYI: Vintage Submarine Art

From: TINCANNERS@aol.com
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 06:20:48 EST
Subject: Vintage Submarine Art
To: ray@psubs.org

Hello!

We're please to announce an exhibition of the rediscovered works of the mid
20th century futurist illustrator, A. C. Radebaugh.  Often brilliant,
occasionally a hack, always fascinating, Radebaugh's work in the 1930s was
streamlined moderne at it's most delicious.  He did innovative work with the
Army Ordnance Department in WWII, and furthered his futurist vision in the
post war years with amazing illustrations, including images of SUBMARINES.

The exhibition opens in March, at Lost Highways Archive & Research Library in
the historic Old City section of Philadelphia.  We invite you to visit in
person, or you can see the works now on line at the link below.  A number of
the works have been digitally restored and are available in the museum shop
as large format giclee prints.  Have fun!

<A HREF="http://WWW.LOSTHIGHWAYS.ORG/radebaugh.html">
http://WWW.LOSTHIGHWAYS.ORG/radebaugh.html</A>

IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO USE ANY OF THE IMAGES IN YOUR MAGAZINE, WE CAN MAKE THEM
AVAILABLE TO YOU IN ANY FORMAT, FOR FREE, SO LONG AS THE IMAGE ACCOMPANIES A
MENTION OR ARTICLE ABOUT THE EXHIBIT.

Radebaugh is still known and much beloved of many science fiction fans and
futurists of a certain age, around the world.  This is due, in large part, to
his syndicated Sunday funnies features CLOSER THAN WE THINK and CAN YOU
IMAGINE?, pioneering futurist imagineerings that opened many a young mind up
to the technologies of tomorrow.

We have uncovered quite a few Radebaugh gems, and the hunter-gatherer
sleuthing has been great.  If you have or know of other pieces of the
Radebaugh puzzle, in the form of information or other works not on the site,
please let us know, at

keystonepicto@yahoo.com

For that and all the rest, we thank you!

Todd Kimmell
Lost Highways Archive & Research Library
307 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
215 925 2568