Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Gyro-Compass, want to purchase

Hi Folks

I have not used true a gyrocompass but I have crewed on small trawlers
equipped with the MEMS type compass that can be easily    networked into
radar, track-plotter, auto-pilot and sonar. They are accurate and
reliable and do not need to be installed and configured by a technician
the compass is about the size of a can of beans they are not as badly
affected by shock, pitch and roll as traditional compasses but there is
a catch, they have to be mounted 2 meters from any magnetic material or
fittings we put them on GRP poles on top of the superstructure and they
worked fine. Check out the local boatyards and marine  electronics shops
for second hand or ex-rental units.

Regards, Garry Muir