RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure air drive.

      I think that those may be vane type motors.  I believe that one would
want to use piston type to get maximum expansion (stored energy) out of the
compressed air.  I think that it would be a simple cheap way to store
power, but the energy density would be far lower than with batteries.  Also
with the .6 hp at 25000 rpm you need a gearbox to make that into usable
power, and to get 25:1 reduction (approximate) you need a gearbox with many
stages and the resulting efficiency loss at each step.  Piston type air
motors would run in the rpm range that be more usable, but to get the .6 hp
the motor would have to be far larger.
      The 3 cfm consumption rate would also be a problem I think.  For
every minute of full power operation you would need about a 20 gal
compressed air (at 90 psi) tank.  If you could store air at 2000 psi  (or
use Nitrogen cylinders @ 4000 psi) then the storage problems would not be
so bad.  But the compressor get expensive and slow, probably similar to
charging batteries.  But at least the air motors - cylinder - compressor
wouldn't go bad after 5-1- years, unlike batteries which have a limited
life.

 Comments anyone?

Jay.

                      "Pierre Poulin"
                      <pipo305@hotmail.com>             To:       personal_submersibles@psubs.org
                      Sent by:                          cc:
                      owner-personal_submersible        Subject:  RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure air drive.
                      s@psubs.org

                      08/01/2003 07:32 AM
                      Please respond to
                      personal_submersibles

Hi,

I've check some air grinders that could be transformed into motor.

Free speed: 25000 rpm
- Operation pressure: 90 psi
- 0.6 HP
- Air consumption: 3 cfm