Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] nuclear psub? (fruity goodness)

On Mon, 6 Jan 2003 13:05:11 -0600 David Buchner <buchner@wcta.net>
writes:
>I think I overreacted. My mail software must have had some kind of a
>hiccup, because I seem to have duplicates of all these bingo-fodder
>messages.

Duplicates?   This stuff is bad enough without being duplicated.

>On Sunday, Jan 5, 2003, at 15:41 US/Central, Michael B Holt wrote:
>> ...American Science and Surplus catalog....  latest Good Idea...
>> inexpensive power!... getting the
>> involvement of the women in our lives... bushels of, say, apples...
>> eat the power sources... blah, blah

Do I sense a certain lack of faith?   Alas!

>Once after seeing an ad for a potato clock (and drinking vodka in the
>Airstream we were living through a Minnesota winter in), I spent much
>of an evening feeding past-ripe fruit, mostly citrus (thinking the
>higher acidity would help), through the Cuisinart.

No, I don't know the chemistry here.  It seems logical to me that
the acidity would help.

> Then I poured it
>into these big green cylindrical jars my potter friend had made
>(actually for battery cases, believe it or not-- but he'd been planning
>on sufuric acid from scavenged car batteries) and inserted a couple of
>probes through a plastic lid. By hooking several of these in series I
>was able to get just enough power to make one of those common, 1.5V
>clock movements to twitch and not quite make it to the next second.

Hmmm ....  Does this suggest that we need a motor with no moving
parts, in order for the thing to be useful?

>Then it was time for "X-Files," and we lost interest. I dumped the
>whole mess on the compost pile after a few days. Where did I go wrong?

Next time add the vodka to the mess in the jars.

Mike H.

It is possible to make a Ship or Boate that may goe underwater
unto the bottom, and so to come up againe at your pleasure ...
                                                                      -
William Bourne, 1576

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com