Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Framework around the hull.

I think that this works because it causes the turbulent skin layer to
become thinner.  This would only work if you were expecting turbulent flow.
I think that most PSUB's would be in laminar flow conditions for most of
their area.  There is only very small gains to be had at best.  We tried
something like this for the insides of pipelines to increase throughput /
reduce power requirements, and the gains were small.

Jay.

Thanks,

J. Barlow CET
Sr. Mechanical Designer
BJ Pipeline Inspection

Ph  (403) 531-5412
Fax (403) 236-8740
Cell (403) 807-2195

                      Michael B Holt
                      <tlohm@juno.com>                  To:       personal_submersibles@psubs.org
                      Sent by:                          cc:
                      owner-personal_submersible        Subject:  Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Framework around the hull.
                      s@psubs.org

                      03/01/2003 11:31 AM
                      Please respond to
                      personal_submersibles

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 07:56:56 -0600 David Buchner <buchner@wcta.net>
writes:

>You could cover the deck with stick-on bathtub daisies...

"It's an official PSUBS sub because it has stick-on bathtub daises for
nonskid!"

Most of the boats were talking about here aren't going to have enough
surface area for walking.

The surface roughness thing for streamlining is interesting.  There was
a patent for a combination of  polymer injection and grooves cut into  a
submarine hull as a speed enhancer.    I suspect that works in a certain
speed, probably just about what we're expecting as a normal speed.  I'll
go through my books here.

Mike H.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com