Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Ballast Question

Hello all. Sorry for coming in late on this,
especially if what I am about to cover has already
been articulated by someone else.

The ballast tanks you are referring to are called
"soft" tanks. That is, they are open to the sea and,
as such, subject to changes in displacement caused by
pressure at depth.

Now, if you hope to have any depth control at all you
should not use these tanks to control your descent. If
your sub is a dry ambient vehicle then you must
calculate its diplacement and, forgetting about the
soft tanks for a moment, ballast it for neutral
buoyancy. That is, if the sub were placed in the water
with the soft tanks completely flooded, the sub would
float just barely below the surface.

The soft tanks are best used only to gain freeboard,
that is, to raise the sub out of the water enough to
allow surface navigation or recovery, or the use of a
hatch for entrance and egress without swamping.

So, when you dive, you flood the ballast tanks
COMPLETELY. This will eliminate the problem of
constantly adjusting for changing displacement. Then,
with the sub floating almost neutral just below the
surface, you can use thrusters to go deeper. Your
displacement will not change appreciably. Many subs,
including mine, use hard ballast tanks as well. These,
as the name suggests, are pressure-resistant tanks
with valves to control the air/water ratio. By
admitting or blowing out a certain quantity of water
and closing the valves, the weight of your vehicle can
be precisely adjusted without the air in the tank
changing volume with depth.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Alan
--- "Dale A. Raby" <publisher@thegreenbayweb.com>