[PSUBS-MAILIST] Ballast Question

Hi there every body! It's the newbi again.

I'm working on an a dry ambient sub. The hull is 60% finish.

I tought that the ballast system was pretty simple but then I figured that
if I have a main ballast system witch is opened at the bottom and I ajust
the buyancy at 33 feet. Then, I go at 66 feet using electric motors. The
buyancy will need to be ajusted again since the air in the ballast will be 2
times smaller. Right? So the deeper I go, the faster I sink?

Would it be better if the ballast was able to support the pressure like an 1
atm design and you close the bottom of the ballast witch is normaly open? So
the volume of air will remain the same? I do realize that when I will try to
put more air in the ballast, I will have to play with 2 valves at the same
time to conpensate.

Is that a variable ballast system? Is there a difference between those two
systems (main and variable)?

I'm a bit confused with that! I'm looking for something as simple as
possible.

I tought that some of you guys who are more experienced surely have the
answer to my problem!

Thanks for your help!

Pierre Poulin

http://www.msn.fr/msger/default.asp