Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pressure hull materials

Hi Mike,

that's a interesting question.  I'm not sure I would
trust my life to a corrugated irrigation pipe, that
would depend on how much info was aviable on the tube.
However, if we could make a corrugated tube out of a
know metal made to our specification then it would
be possible to make a pressure hull with a high strenth
to weight ratio.  (Each corrugation or fold acts kind
of like a frame ring.)

There is a chapter of Prof Carl T.F. Ross book,
"Pressure Vessels: External Pressure Technology", that
talks about corrugated cylinders under pressure.  He
includes some formulas and empirical data from crushing
a various sizes of 'tin can' like pressure vessels.

Ian.
P.S.: (I would like a big pressure vessel test chamber
for xmas to test Prof Ross formulas on larger cylinders...)