Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Does size really matter?

Thanks again Roger for sharing your knowledge gained through experimentation
and concise record keeping. I wish we could have been so methodical when it
came to our own experimentation. I believe you're somewhat familiar with the
design I'm working on and therefore may understand why I chose the larger
thrust motors. I would have preferred to have a high output 24V motor but, as
you know, their price often exceeds that of the bigger 36's. I'm lucky if I
dive 4 times a year let alone 4 times a day, so duration is not too much of a
concern. My design, I guess, is less of a DPV, and more of a highly
manouverable sled. The reason I wanted more thrust than was recommended, was
mostly because of the exponential amount of thrust needed to gain every small
increment of speed.  Also, if it turned out that I had power to spare, I would
like to experiment with pitching the props up a bit. I know all stock rolling
motors max out at about 5 knots, they only differ in the size of boat they can
push. But I'm guessing the drag that my vessel would incur, would be close to
that of a 20 foot fishing boat so I opted for more rather than less thrust. I'd
like to keep the entire craft around  200 lb, so final battery selection will
come down to the necessary weight to become neutrally buoyant divided by 3 (the
number of batteries). Not the most calculated way to put a craft together, but
trial and error hasn't lead us too far wrong in the past....Oh, and before
anyone jumps on me for being a reckless suicidal wannabe submariner, I'm very
much aware of all the many ways I can be killed or maimed and I have a near
obsessive level of self-preservation!
I'd be interested to hear what other people have used to power their wet subs
and DPV's and whether they had too much or too little power to meet their
expectations. Thanks

Rob