Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Fresh water sub tourism

I am a shipwreck diver of the Great Lakes. Mostly Lake Ontario and lake Erie.

Lake ontario has a max. depth of about 600ft and Lake erie about 300ft in the trench. The shoreline extends out about 3/4 mile under the lake making the average depth only about 2 - 5 ft along the shore.

Shipwrecks are down there for a reason, the shallow depths. One of the wrecks I like to go to called the Raleigh is sitting 2 miles off shore in only 35ft of water. Another is called the Steel Products, a steel freighter that beached herself 1 mile off shore and the water is only 5ft deep. They cut her to peices but she still sticks up out of the water a good 10 to 20 feet. There are many good books on shipwrecks including my favorite "Lake Erie Wrecks East" which covers about 20 wrecks. Some are good and deep (to a air diver) at over 100feet.

In Lake Ontario there is a set of wrecks even profiled in April 1984 issue of National Geographic called "Hamilton" and "Scourge" they went down with all hands on deck. Most of thier remains are still in the 300ft of water.

Anyone else dive great lakes?

 Mark Steed wrote:

Some great shipwrecks are scattered through the Great Lakes region. Many are from the War of 1812 and earlier (the French and Indian affair). Many are reported to be in excellent condition due to the depth and cold water. I have no idea what depths these are in but they could make for a fascinating "historical tour". One of the most famous or proably most infamous is an area off Chicago in Lake Michigan. During WW2, U.S. Naval Aviators were being trained on makeshift carriers there. The bottom is covered with vintage U.S. Navy aircraft, wreckage and parts. The US Navy and the FBI are very particular about those airplanes though. There have been many lawsuits and confiscations resulting from souvenir hunters and wreck divers in those areas. I have no idea if they would be completely off-limits to anyone just wanting to see what is there. You may already know all this but it is what comes to my mind at the mention of diving the Great Lakes. Good luck! Mark Steed

Wolf

http://www.wolfmaan.com