From: "Alec Smyth" <Asmyth@changepoint.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 7:57 PM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Intact Surface Stability

Cliff,

OK, I just revisited my old books. It was not entirely satisfactory as you
will see below.

Here's the nutshell version:

When you heel a vessel, its weight will always act vertically down through
the center of gravity. However the buoyant force acts through the center of
buoyancy, which moves to one side, so that the pair of forces creates a
righting moment. In your case its a little more complex because you have the
battery pods, so there will be a marked increase in righting moment when a
pod starts to rise out of the water.

The first step in the calculation would be to calculate the righting moment
for different angles of heel. That is going to be tedious, but at least its
simple.  I'm assuming you have no free liquid surfaces in tanks, and no
suspended objects. If you do, these have very significant (and detrimental)
effects.

Second, chart the righting moments you just calculated as a function of the
angle of heel.

Now for the dynamic aspect. If you were to gradually incline your sub, the
work done to reach any given angle of heel would be the integral of the
righting moment from zero to the final angle. In other words, the area under
the curve, from the origin to a vertical line through the corresponding x
value. The value of this area is called the "Dynamic Stability" for the
angle of heel in question. So,

Third, calculate the dynamic stability for each angle of heel, for example
by approximating the area below the curve with trapezoids. Chart a second
curve with the dynamic stability values for each angle of heel.

You would simply enter this curve horizontally with the inclining moment of
a dynamic force, to find the approximate angle of maximum heel that would
result. Unfortunately, however, at this final and crucial step I had a
disappointment. Every example I find in my old books refers to some rather
elementary discrete force, such as a gust of wind hitting the sails of a
sailboat, the recoil from a battleship firing a broadside, and so on.  In
the literature I have on hand I cannot find any correlation between a given
wave size or sea state and what dynamic inclining moment might be result
from it - I think there might just be too many variables involved as this
would depend on the nature of the vessel, the course, etc in addition to the
waves themselves.  I do have formulas for the total energy contained in a
wave (incredibly high numbers), but that clearly is not the whole story as
only some small undefined portion of it would go into trying to heel your
sub.

Probably the best reference I have for this is Fundamentals of Construction
and Stability of Naval Ships, by Thomas Gillmer. If you like, I can scan and
email you a couple of chapters.

Going back to your original question, I suppose what we need is input from
someone who has actually satisfied the certification requirement to see what
calculations they presented.

cheers,

Alec