RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] warning for smyth

Alec,

     I believe that the reason that some people feel that a dressed weld is
inferior to an undressed weld is the small abrasions (scratches) in the
surface.  These are viewed as crack initiators where stresses are set
up.  It could probably be related to notch toughness on a very small scale
as these scratches are tiny.
     The problem with an undressed weld can come where there is a natural V
in the metal between passes or else between the upper or lower pass and the
hull.  When the metal has a bending torque the V becomes a notch and a
notch that is much deeper than the scratches of a grinder.  Stress can set
up at this point yielding a weaker scenario than a rounded ground weld.  I
believe one of the URLs I posted was trying to debunk the "myth" that a
ground weld is better than an unground weld!!
     One other thing to say about grinding; when I welded my sail section
to the hull, I ground almost every weld placed.  I welded with 7018 low
hydrogen rods and after each pass, I ground anything that looked as though
it might not fully enter the melt on the next pass.  7018's are not known
for their penetration, more so for their strength.  In this process, I
noticed at least once that I had gas inclusions in the weld at the end of
the bead.  This porosity was from not lifting the rod quick enough.  These
were well ground out before proceeding.
     Perhaps at the end of this...   We are all more "Well-ground-ed."

Gary Boucher