RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] warning for smyth

I have a rather humorous photo of myself after about 3 hours of grinding inside the hull. My face is entirely black except for two circles around the eyes where I was wearing goggles. Grinding is by far the noisiest, dirtiest, part of building a sub, and doing it inside a small steel pipe will make you cherish other moments in life, like visits to the dentist. But above all grinding demands heroic stoicism from my family and neighbors. If anyone has an alternative method, believe me I'll volunteer to try it!

Alec

-----Original Message-----
From: Gary R. Boucher [mailto:protek@shreve.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 25, 2002 10:44 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] warning for smyth

Mr. Lauser,

     They radiograph and use ultrasonic methods to find cracks and flaws in
a weld.  Exactly how would you suggest fixing a flaw?  Perhaps drill it
out?  Of course you grind it out.  There is no way other than to throw the
hull away and start over.  That is the method used by certified welders and
has been since the beginning.
     As far as grinding of a finished weld goes, it does tend to weaken the
weld, but all must be considered in the larger scope of things such as the
amount of stress the weld will be subjected to and the types of materials
used.  If you want to see some grinding, I suggest you come look at my
sub's sail section.
     I have met Smyth, and sir, I can assure you he is paying attention.

Gary R. Boucher, D.Eng.
Dept. Chemistry-Physics
Louisiana State University - Shreveport