RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] My PSUB Explorer

Alan,

The problem with stock trolling motor props is they have an extremely fine pitch. So lets say you put 10 trolling motors on a surfboard, it would still only go about 2-3 knots no matter how big the trolling motors were. I'm no fisherman but I understand that's the idea is to move the boat slowly. A small boat wants to troll slowly, and so does a large one. So the large trolling motors will simply move a heavier boat at the same slow speed... visualize a big rig truck with a huge diesel engine but only 1st gear.

What is needed is a prop with greater pitch, and of course less diameter or the motor is going to exceed its maximum current draw.

After hunting high and low for an appropriate prop, I finally found and purchased one that I think will work, but it is as yet untested since my boat is still under construction. I was able to buy a spare rotor for a pretty fancy industrial fan. Its expensive... the rotor only was about $300. It has 10 removeable blades, of a design that allows the pitch to be statically variable, and from which I plan to make 2 props with 5 blades each. Each blade can be rotated on the hub. You can't rotate them underway, you need tools. But its something I should be able to experiment with to find the right pitch for the boat. I picked the diameter on the basis of a calculation that would have the motor drawing its nominal amps at a pitch of about twice the stock prop.

Given the expense of these props, I would not encourage anyone to get one until the first guy (me) has found out whether they really work. And of course on many non-streamlined boats, a slow prop is just what you want, and a fast one would not speed you up at all.

rgds,

Alec