Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Propane tank

     The industry standard is to use the Minimum Yield strength for the
material according to the standards (SA-516-Gr70, has a 70,000 psi minimum
Yield strength and the material will most often be10% higher) and then a
"Fudge factor" called "corrosion allowance" onto after all the calculations
are done.  That is, calculate the strength based on 0.5/16" WT (0.312") and
then specify 0.375" (3/8") material for construction.  The corrosion
allowance then being 1/16" (0.062").  The corrosion allowance varies
depending on where the pressure vessel is used, pressure rating, risk
factors, etc.  I have no idea what the corrosion allowance for submarines
would be.  I guess it would probably depend on use (military, tourist),
saltwater vs fresh, etc.
  Unless the propane tank saw elevated temperatures I wouldn't  think that
the Carbon from the propane would migrate into the tank material, but
dents, or cracks (esp Stress Corrosion Cracks) will have a dramatic effect
on the strength of the vessel.

Empirical testing as suggested would make me the most comfortable were I
the one inside.

Hope this may help some.

Jay.

Thanks,

J. Barlow CET
Sr. Mechanical Designer
BJ Pipeline Inspection

Ph  (403) 531-5412
Fax (403) 236-8740
Cell (403) 807-2195

                    Ian Roxborough
                    <irox@ix.netcom.com>               To:     personal_submersibles@psubs.org
                    Sent by:                           cc:
                    owner-personal_submersibles        Subject:     Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Propane tank
                    @psubs.org

                    04/09/2002 01:43 PM
                    Please respond to
                    personal_submersibles

Sorry, I didn't mean to undermine your calculation, I was
just implying that without examining the pressure-vessel
nobody on this list can accurately predict the crush
depth, we don't even know the diameter (althought your
40inich guess would seem like a good guess).

I'd be interest in how you where accounting for rust
and weakness in your calculation.

Thanks,

Ian.

--
The moon ate the sun on Monday and it was an awsome sight to see.