Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Subsafe

Are you trying to say the FAA is an ideal system.  We are a small enough group that either stupidity or logic will prevail.  As far as I can tell, none of us are suicidal, and few are given to flights of fantasy (short of the boat itself).

I feel, that given enough discussion here, would lead to a vastly superior book than the manuals and mandates given by a orginization like the FAA.  Unlike an airplane, our boats are relitively slow speed devices, and aren't prone to crashing in spectacular ways.  There aren't any unknowns untill we start talking high speeds under water.  Pressure vessels all have the calculations done for us, and there's no wiggle room there.  all we need to do is define a standard "safety factor"  And a standard number (say 3 of 7-8 methods) of tested and working escape methods....

Comercial submarines have no such devices... just a standard on how long life support should last.  I think we've already shown more initiave than even the FAA has as to making the vehicle safe.  I would trust, and encourage a book made by the pusubbing public.  If you look at cartsen, the K-series, and other examples of our craft..... I'd trust them more than the stuff I've seen from those NOT on the psubs list.  Everyone here can point out the design mistakes of those "other" boats.

On another line of logic... someone has to start the book.  I'm sure it should go through peer review, and preferably independant review.  This is a needed resource in the community to prevent boats like we've seen in the past... that even "I" wouldn't trust on the surface.

Still another reason we need a book like this is to prevent mistakes like we've seen on the list previously... using the wrong equasions can get you killed.  A book like this would prevent that for the most part.