[PSUBS-MAILIST] Using a 0-1000 psi Pressure Gauge for a depth Gauge at depths of 1000 feet

I was reading in the Busby book, and I saw a picture of a PSI gauge that was
measuring the depth, I then pondered if I could route a SS line out to a
thru-hull (threaded into it) and routed the other end into the sub connected
to the pressure gauge, and then convert the psi to feet, or write on the
gauge the conversion for depth. do you all think this would work? (I asked
the man I purchased these from if they would work with water, and he said
they would)

Regards,

Graham Kuberski