Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] One more reason to use acrylic windows.

Refractive index is a material property.  It may be possible to manufacture
custom polymers to create plastics with a desired refractive index, but this
property is constant in homogenous solids.

The optical behaviour follows "Snell's Law", which is sin theta1/sin theta2=n1/n2,
where the theta values are the angles of incidence of light with respect to
the surface normal, and the n values are the refractive indexes.  From this,
you can see that light passing from one material to another does not change
angle at all if it enters directly perpendicular to the interface.  The angular
difference (refraction) becomes greater as the incidence angle increases.

For seawater, with an n value of 1.37, any light hitting the surface at an
angle greater than 46.88 degrees will reflect off instead of passing through.
 This is why as a diver, provided there is sufficient visibility, when you
look up the surface light is a circle of light centered above you.

-Sean

Internet service provided by telus.net  http://www.telus.net/