Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST]-pressure test/vacuum

In einer eMail vom 14.04.2002 02:40:11 (MEZ) - Mitteleurop. Sommerze schreibt jeffpost@rawbw.com:

Perhaps has some fluidic properties, but it certainly doesn't exert an equal pressure on a body submerged in the "fluid". This is critical to the test. It is not simply a matter of putting a lot of weight on top of the hull.

JP

OK guys,

lets stop this discussion now. as I figured out it was more a joke. I´d never suggested to do that. I know that the high friction between the sand-grains leads to a highly unequal pressure distribution.

The more important conclusion from this is to know that I can "sink" a steel pile into the bottom with fine vibrations but it doesn´t work with light weight piles. Then I need a pile-driver.

An other more interesting effect is that a lot of stuff buried in former times deep in the earth comes slowly to the surface if it´s made from steel ... thats why some folks here in this region buy a metal detector and collect a lot of old WWII stuff. A college told me that. Here near the border to France are a lot of stuff in the earth from all the dumb wars ...( I live now near the old MARGINOT-line..a lot of forts around the corner.)

A.