RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dales pressure test

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Doc
Sent:
April 12, 2002 12:19 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dales pressure test

Hey Dale,

 What a great solution!
Around here they're closing down lumber mills like crazy. How big was the chamber you tested in?
This is just the kind fast cycling I've been looking for, can you give any more details?

Doc

AndrePevestorf@aol.com wrote:

In einer eMail vom 12.04.2002 18:55:14 (MEZ) - Mitteleurop. Sommerze schreibt heinzind@cadvision.com:

Here is my 2 cents worth..

I tested my sub to 10 feet in a small pond, mostly to check for leaks, and to make sure everything worked right.. I then got some advise from 2 experienced subbers, and they both suggested to do the unmanned deep water test.. I thought it over, and decided that I had too much money and time tied up, to just leave the sub there, if there was a problem.. again, the problem  could be as simple as a leak, not a total collapse..  I contacted a local company that pressure treats lumber, and after some talking, they decided they could help me out.  I tested my sub in their pressure chamber, after being convinced that a failure of my sub, would not damage any of their equipment..for me this was the best way to go, but the longest few hours of my life wondering if all my hard work would pay off.. The only problems I encountered was the pressure went up very fast, and came off even faster..  0-400 feet in 15 seconds, 400 - 0 feet in 0.5 seconds..

dale

Hi Dale,

So your sub is secured against rot for all the time ???  :-))

Itīs a good idea to look for unusual test chambers... offen there is a lot of pressure around us but we didnīt note this... :-))

Was 400 feet the maximum capability of the chamber or was it your choise?

A.

yes 400 feet was the max capacity of this chamber. It was also the max depth I have my pressure compensation set at for my motors.  The chamber itself was 83 feet long, and 6 feet in diameter.. It would hold a lot more pressure, but they overbuild them because they are being cycled many many times. The place I used treated lumber at 145-170 psi, depending on what chemical they were using..  and you are right.. even though they cleaned out the chamber for me, and tried to clean out the pipes, there was still some chemical in the water.  It washed off, and does not seem to harm anything. (it left kind of a waxy film on everything..)  The chamber is pulled to a vacuum, then filled with liquid (water mixed with whatever chemical)  the vacuum allows the pumps to prime, and the chamber to fill completely.  I could see the high water mark in the chamber, and it was very close to the top at the door..(the chamber slopes down slightly at the rear to aid in emptying.. )  Liquid does not compress for our purposes, so adding pressure or releasing pressure can happen very fast, and does, because they don’t care how fast they do it for lumber..

I took some pictures, I’ll see if I can get them scanned, and send them to Ray, to post..