Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] dome or cams ? was tank periscope optics

At 09:50 PM 4/9/2002 +0200, you wrote:

>Make it K.I.S.S - like a CCD cam..

then why inhabit the sub at all? Shrink it to a ROV and view from the
surface via 3-D goggles like the "telepresence" of the Mars rover operator.
You'd be almost as much "there" as viewing a monitor, and completely safe.
Or, build a dummy hull on shore and view the monitors there for the CCD
images from the ROV. Introduce some hydraulic driven motion simulation to
move the hull for reality. Hey, if we can make this VR, maybe there's a
Mall arcade psub possibility here! <g>

I've thought quite seriously about 2 CCD cameras spaced the width of the
human eyes and remotely maneuverable on ROV perhaps being a reasonable
virtual substitute for a psub experience when viewed with 3D goggles. It is
said that one adapts rapidly to the "telepresence" effect and it becomes so
real a replacement for our perception that one becomes dizzy from the
movement of the cameras. While presenting its own design challenges, it
would certainly be a lot cheaper as well.

William Alford
walford@dbtech.net

Tout comprendre c'est tout pardonner