Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Mini book review.

On Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:07:22 EDT
AndrePevestorf@aol.com wrote:
> Did I understand it right you plan to bring up the analytical equations from
> the books formulars into a user friendly PC program ? Nice idea !! Respect.
> (prevents me from all this ugly math ... :-)) )

Yeah, pretty much.

> So later we can compare the results from the analytical solutions with the
> numerical FEM results...
>
> But what should we do if there is a difference ???

I'd be suprised if they where the same.
The book does compare a couple of different
(analytical, I think) solutions.

> Never the less we need indeed some experimental values ...

I agree.  Especially for the more experimental materials
like GRP and concrete

> Do you believe there may be a voluntary PSUBer who allows us to sink his sub
> up to the crush deep ...  ("He man ... itīs for a good purpose..you helps to
> prevent from loss of a lot of tears and loosen money..")

I've been wanting to destructively test something for a while now...
I would hope nobody has to give up a working submarine.
Maybe if several people interested in getting some hard data
could get together and build some dummy hulls just for
destructive test purposes, we'd just need some deep water
and a couple of boats (or we could a pressure test chamber).

There are so diagrams of using a kind of home made
pressure test chamber in the pressure-vessel book.

I'm becoming more interested by the idea of using concrete to build
a larger (10 man?) psub (if you can deal with all the problems
of concrete).

 Ian.