No Subject

I am new to these message boards.  These message boards were the only place I found relating to PSUBs.  It's quite cool.  Anyways, I am working on a design, but of course I have no experience designing or building a sub. I figured if I am going to build one, it may as well be a good long lasting, never get tired of, type psub. I want to build a 1 atm sub. The inner hull will be 10' in diameter, the outer hull is 12' in diameter. I was would like a maximum operating depth of 500' (tis a good round number). I read somewhere on this board to design 2x over the limit and test 1.5x over the limit. So I need to design for 1000' depth. I think I will rib it using 12" I beam every 2'. Would 1/2" steel be sufficient for the inner hull? Supposedly the outer hull doesnt have to be as thick, but to be sure I probably will make it 1/2".
As I said, I have never designed or built a PSUB, but I would very much like to.
Is there a place to get a designing program?
Also is there a place to get underwater maps on CD-ROM?
Where would the best place to get scrubbers from? I would like to design it to support 3 ppl for 72-hours, even though I will probably be the only passenger most of the time. I need the dimensions of the scrubbers too, so I can design the ventilation system.
I think hydraulic drive and control surfaces are best. A couple of hydraulic motors for the drive, one motor for rudder and another for the elevator. The hydraulic pump would be inside and piping the fluid to the out would be easy with steel piping.

Also in regards to the hull, does layering steel nearly equivilate to a solid piece? For example, would tiling 1/8" to 1/2" thick be nearly as strong as a solid 1/2" piece? It seems it would be easier to aquire 1/8" steel and layer it (yeah it creates more welding) than it would be to find 1/2" steel. Also 1/8" steel would be much easier to roll than 1/2".

This design I have is gonna be HEAVY !! lol
Also getting it to water is gonna be a chore as well. I believe it would have to be hauled via big rig, I doubt it would be legal to haul using a small truck and fabricated trailer. Then having a big rig back into a huge ramp into water deeply enough to allow the sub to leave the trailer, wow it gets complex.
In regaurds to weight, it seems it will need lots of air for bouyancy and little water to dive with.

If someone could look at this page and tell me if I understand the ballast tank principle it would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/xsirsaw/pages/psubs/PSUBTOC.html

Thanks for your reading this, and thanks for your help if you help... lol
--

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

Travelocity.com is giving away two million travel miles.
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;3969773;6991039;g?http://svc.travelocity.com/promos/millionmiles_main/0,,TRAVELOCITY,00.html