Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Motor controller...

John,

I have been looking at your application for the motor controller. Although I
haven't drawn a schematic, I suggest we use a Unitrode UC2637 Motor
controller (try www.Unitrode.com, look at application note U-102) and four
IXYS IXFX 150N150 (www.ixys.com). These are 150 volt devices with a thermal
impedance of 0.22 Degrees C per watt and have a 150 ampere rating. I didn't
check on the cost but you might.

I'll be working on the schematic this week. It looks like it will be simpler
than my controller and yet be an H bridge which you can use for all your
motors. Your pot in the joystick would probably be a linear taper 1K pot. The
real problem will be in packaging the electronics such that parasitic
inductance's will be minimized. We will still need some very high quality
capacitors to act as local bypass to avoid voltage spikes. Short leads to
your batteries will help. Motor lead lengths are not important. The controls
can be located anywhere you wish but the power controller needs to be located
close to your batteries. Have you given any thought to fuses and contactors
(solenoids) to apply power?

Ken Martindale