Re: PRV 2 was Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST]

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002 17:06:21 +0100
MerlinSub@t-online.de (Carsten Standfuß) wrote:

> Hmm - No Top-hatch.. only accessible
> from the bottom hatch. You need diving
> equipment or an small Offshore supply boat
> with an A-Mast crane to get inside..
>
> A cheap one should be around 150.000 USD.
> Maybe to assamble a top hatch is cheaper.

It looks kind of modular, maybe there is
an easy way to rotate the pressure-hull 180deg
so that the pressure hatch is on the topside
(with the big viewport still facing forward).

Buying a used submerisble such this one
and "parting it out" looks like it would give
a wannabe sub build a nice head start.  On
the other hand, I don't think I would trust
the viewport to 1000feet without replacing
it, which could be costly, maybe it would cost
more than building my own pressure hull with
smaller viewports.

Has anybody tried building a psub out of a
research/working submersible before?
Anyway tips or is it more trouble than it's
worth?

Ian.