Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Motor controller...

Laurent, I copied your post and can answer some of your questions below.

Ken Martindale

Hi John,
I started working on your schematic and I have a few
questions for you:
- Why did you add extra flyback diodes , the IXFK
serie already have some in their package?

All Power Fets have body diodes which can be used but there are difficulties with body diode recovery times and I didn't want to deal with the potential destructive effects of using the body diodes.

- Is there any specific reason why you used a H bridge
with only N-channel Mosfet instead of both N and
P-channel Mosfet?

I cannot get P channel FETs to handle the currents involved.

- I have some concerns about the heat sink dimensions.
Are you currently using the hull of your sub to cool
them? :-)
-I was also interrested in using Minn Kota motors. Do
you have any specs on these? Are you already using
them?
I plan to use 4 of them (2 for the main prop and 2 for
up/down & left/right) but i'm still working on the
mechanical design so I still don't know what are my
power requirements. Looks like I'll be very close to
Ken's needs.

Laurent