[PSUBS-MAILIST] A question to fire up a debate

Dear all,
  Freely i will admit i am no engineer, nor someone who thinks his ideas are
flawless. When im at work i have alot of free time, time spent reading Psub
archives ( I think i've managed 4 years so far. )
And spend other time looking for rescources out-with Psubs to help me in
some understanding of hydrodynamics, u / w pressure on hulls etc etc, just
about anything i can get a hold of online.

But what i love about this website is that you guys all have certain fields
which you guys know about either, professionally or through experience and
can discuss ideas with feedback.

So my question to you guys is this( Finally i hear you say lol )

If a sub was built on for the purpose of gliding say 50 meters MAX u/w, and
a hull was fabricated from G/RP composite materials or steel to a thickness
of say 2 inches ( Or whatever was needed ), plus internally reinforced by a
steel frame ( If needed ).  The pilot cockpit being the only air bubble (
say like a race car, with a canopy ) Given the MAX depth, Hull wall
thickness ( Be it steel or Composite, up for discussion ) could you
construct the Hull in a less cylindrical section, and still be an ambient,
or even 1 atm sub?  considering the hull was designed for this shape? a
lightly squashed  -> O <-  O ring?

      ***
     *****
    *******     <--   Say like that for example?
    *******
     *****
      ***

  I've looked through your archives and noted that the majority of you have
chosen the deep path to Subs, and your discussions *for the main part*
discuss pressure relating to these deeper depths, and hulls constructed with
this application in mind. Any feedback for the not so deep knowledge would
be greatly appriecated.

AshmanVi

The Marlin Project