Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Autocad advice?

AutoCAD, as with most AutoDesk products and other CAD packages, permits
the use of externally referencing drawings in an assembly.  The
individual parts all exist in their own drawing file, which would
contain both the solid model and the drawing layout (dimensioned views
of the model).  Then a separate assembly drawing is created, in which
you externally reference the part drawings to create the assembly.
This assembly file does not contain all the model geometry, but rather
information as to where the XREFs are located and how they are
assembled together.  Having all of the parts localized within the
assembly would result in a very large file size!  The assembly drawing
layout typically will show the parts in an exploded view, all with
numbered ballons which correspond to an entry in a parts list included
in that drawing.  Also, assembly details and the completed assembly are
shown.

If you are developing something like a PSUB, which when you include
o-rings, fasteners and so forth is quite a large assembly, using XREFs
is probably your best bet.  To keep track of the drawings you create, I
would suggest also keeping a spreadsheet which keeps track of your
drawing titles, descriptions, filenames, etc.

-Sean