Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] sub bouyancy

Its depents on your design I think.. With pipe style softtanks
pods like GEO or JARO maybe PVC is a solution. The internal stern
compartment and the stern thruster pipes of Sgt.Peppers are
made from PVC. Also the Thruster Engines housing. There is a special
cement (Tangit) which works pretty good.

Make shure that the sub normal storage place is a garage or
something without to much direct sunlight - PVC get quick old
under direct sunlight. Do not clean the PVC with a chemical
with is not useful for Polyvinylchlorid - and never dive with
the sub in swimming pools witch contains chlorined water.

I like steel - if you hit something - for example on the surface
during a "bad weather and back to the surport ship crane" action
- your stainless steel or aluminium softtanks get maybe a bulge,
- your PVC tanks maybe breaks in parts.

During a refit of one of the 10 years old PVC endcaps of the
Sgt.Peppers Thrusters - the endcap  fall down from the workdesk
- and breaks in two parts. Maybe that was a result of the influence
of the oil inside the housing.
I was very surpriced and purchase a new one - smash this new endcap
hard to a wall - again and again - no result. Conclusion - If you want
to use your sub longtime - don't use PVC..

A very expirence friend and Psuber told my during a visit :
"Make your sub robust like an tractor"
Thats is what I reply to my brain before I produce anything
for the new sub.

Sgt.Peppers was more or less like a Apollo rocket:
100000 parts and each purchase from a company wich made
the lowest offer... Works - but need all your attention
and a 3 page predive checklist to make shure that everything
is  still running..
CSSX will be more a tractor - no checklist - turn the key
and run and dive.

see you - Carsten