Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] New means having alot to learn.

For the working phase of a dive, the mamimum recommended PPO2 is about 1.4 ATA.  As the dives get longer, you need to reduce this value to manage the oxygen exposure (avoiding the lung damage you refer to).  I typically mix for about 1.2.  You
can decrease this value, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to do this, since all you are doing in that case is increasing the partial pressure of inert gases, and hence your decompression time.

In the water, oxygen typically becomes toxic at values higher than 1.6 ATA.  This is the maximum recommended value for decompression (not working), and even then should not be applied continuously.  The PPO2 of air hits 1.6 at 218 feet, so that is
the maximum depth for air from a toxicity perspective, but the narcotic effect effectively precludes its use much deeper than the recreational limits of 100-130 fsw.  At these depths, nitrox or normoxic trimixes are more effective gases to use anyway.
Personally, I use air for powering tools and inflating tires, and that's it.

-Sean