[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: AIP [air independant propulsion]

Lew Clayman wrote:

> --- "Michael B. Holt" <mholt@richmond.edu> wrote:
> > How about hydrogen peroxide, about 93 per cent pure, and water?
> > Oh -- that's been done.
>
> I'm sufficiently ignorant to ask...

The Walther system!  It worked!  Well, as long as the Germans
were doing it; the British seemed to have problems with it.

> The reaction could obviously be regulated by simply regulating the flow of
> peroxide into a reaction chamber, drawing seawater in, and venting the
> expanding gases through a jet.  Engineering issues no doubt, but nothing
> frightening I suppose.

And, when you think of it all, it could be an ambient pressure
system that would be totally outside the pressure hull.

> How does it stack up in terms of energy released per unit mass, or per unit
> volume?  Both are important on a sub, yeah?

I'd think that would depend on what one chose as a fuel.  How
dense is hydrogen peroxide?

Mike