Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: AIP [air independant propulsion]

Hey Guys,
Just a thought I have been tinkering with for a time.
I am not sure it could be totally controllable, and if
not, would be unsuitable on the whole.
   However, here it is.

Using a high temp, pressurized vessel, one would fill
it, via fuel pellets stacked into racks, with perhaps
an Aluminum and Phosphorous powder. This is similar to
what the shuttle uses as solid fuel, MINUS the
oxidizer. For oxidation, one would use a high pressure
inert gas, and an oxygen injection system. Control
could be maintained by allowing the O2 level to drop
below the level need to sustain the reaction.
Otherwise, it would be used like a standard boiler. I
also do not know how much total power could be
harnessed with such a system. It would need to be as
efficient as possible in the generator stage. Further,
thermal conservation would be a priority. The temp.
would need to loose very little when not being used
for recharging batteries. One would just bring it
online when it was needed, allowing for heat-up time
for the first run, then it would (theoretically) stay
fairly close to the same temp. as when the stream
generation and heat reaction stopped.
This is a rough explanation of a rather complicated
system. Due to a desire not to write war and peace
here, I have paired it down, and skipped the footnotes
on lots of detail stuff. Anyway, it is a thought to
maybe chew upon for later.

If anyone can see why it would melt, explode, or
likewise do a BAD thing, please point the possibility
out. Devils Advocate and all that.

Dewey