RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Stiffener question

Thanks Carsten, that was completely clear and really useful info.

- Alec

-----Original Message-----
From: MerlinSub@t-online.de [mailto:MerlinSub@t-online.de]
Sent: Monday, August 20, 2001 12:43 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Stiffener question

Hi Alec - semicircular nicks  means lonh-holes right ?
I look to my rules book - and surprice - no description -
only the term "has to be calculate".

But than I look to the internal pictures of the Seahorse Offshore
sub - a Boat with classefication. The long-holes have about 30
Percent of the stiffteners high. The Length of the hole is clear greater
as the length of the rest frame between them, about 40/60 I think.

The problem is that the welding frame/shell has to be of the close type
- means has to go inside the longhole to the other side - this indicate
that the hole must have a size so you can work with the stick or pistol.
Indicate a hole high of at least 1 inch minimum - and thats indicates
a frame high of about 3 inch at least.

Maybe on smaller frames it is better to drill holes in the stiffteners
quite near the shell and before you weld them into the shell.
The distance "near the shell" means there should still stay of about
a half inch of the stiffteners - so you can make easy a close weld.

Hope the language was not to funny..
Carsten