Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Center of gravity Vs. Center of Bouyancy

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Greany" <crest25@attglobal.net>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2001 4:23 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Center of gravity Vs. Center of Bouyancy

Ed Greany wrote:

> "Adam, I don't think I have heard of "Center" of bouyancy unless you are
referring to "Neutral" bouyancy."

Hi Ed,

Center of Buoyancy is a variable used in calculating a submarine's Center of
Gravity.  CB can be described as that point where the average buoyant force
is centralized.

> "Center of gravity is the centerline midpoint at which the trim fore and
aft is balanced if you were to suspend it from a cable in the air at that
point."

Sorry Ed, buy no, that's not correct.  Center of Gravity is a function of
Center of Buoyancy versus Center of Weight.  There would be no buoyancy if
the submarine were hanging from a cable out of water and surrounded by air.
What you're describing here is Center of Weight.

VBR,

Pat