Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Center of gravity Vs. Center of Bouyancy

Ed,

If I remember correctly from sub school (1964), doesn't the center of
buoyancy move up and down the vertical axis of the boat as the ballast
tanks are blown or flooded? Seems that in the Trigger trainer they
stressed the point of quickly and completely blowing the ballast tanks
during surfacing. There is a point when the center of buoyancy and CG
cross during diving and surfacing and at that point a big wave broadside
to the sail could capsize the boat.

This may not be a problem for small subs if the ballast tanks don't
encompass the hull.

Or..... I may be making all this up and am completely wrong.

We have done the same thing, moving ten or fifteen guys for to aft to
play with a fresh diving officer. The giveaway is these guys streaming
through control like a line of ants.

Cheers,
Doug,   K6STS
ex-STS2 (SS)