Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Seeing a pro welder at work

Hi Alec - I use a other way at the ends of the pipe.

During welding the single longitudinal weld of my regulator tanks -
I length the welding gap way at both end with a short peace of metal
of about 1-2 inch length and a grinded simulate gap on it.
The short metal plates was just light tack welded to the cylinder
with the tack welds just outside the welding way.

I start the longitudinal weld on this peace of metal - and ended at the
other side the same way. So the weld is about 2 inch longer than
nessesary.
After the final layer - I remove the both short plates with the grinder.
The weld will be perfect at the end - no thats not the right words : but
will
be the same quality at the end as the hole way long.

I started also with the inside weld, than removing the plates, grinding
the outside gap, make new plates on and do the outside weld.

Your old stick welder made everything right but if he stop the weld for
more than say 1 second - he has to remove the slag. Sometimes some
welder do not do that to save time and it works also - but it is tricky
.. Just a little to cold or waiting to long and the weld has problems
in.

If you MIG weld - you can go the hole weld without a stop in one turn,
and
if you have a stop - to change maybe your body position - you can start
without removing something - there is no slag at this process.

The only thing witch is better with the stick welding process against
the
MiG welding process is that the MIG welds are sometimes to cold at the
start end. For example : if you weld your encaps on - you have a first
start point. During this time the metal is cold and for this reason the
first 1/2 inch of the Mig weld could be bad quality. So If you get
around
and come back to the start - stop 2-3 inch before the meeting point and
grind
the first 1 inch out - before make the final closing.
This problem is not so difficult with a stick welder - seems this
process
is hoter on the start point.

best regards Carsten