RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Seeing a pro welder at work

Maybe I didn't explain that "end of seam" bit quite right. He didn't really wait until it had cooled. He just retraced his path a few seconds after the first one, and re-liquefied the same spot. The slag did just fall off, just like everywhere else. Essentially he did a U-turn at the end of the seam, like a swimmer who reaches the end of the pool in a multi-lap race. It was all one fluid pass step really.

- Alec
-----Original Message-----
From: Brad Mallard [mailto:bradmallard@hotmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2001 1:14 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Seeing a pro welder at work

Alec, I think you did a good thing. My specialty is welding. I put myself through college as a certified welder only to get an engineering degree in metallurgy. So, I would say I am qualified to at least give my opinion.

I agree with every step of his porcess, from correcting the gap between the plates, to puting the final touches on the cap ( or the weld that is on top). The only thing that I didn't follow is the retracing his weld without removing the slag at the overlaps when he had to change rods. This is a tricky process, and unless you are experienced; it would not be advisable. Slag can be traped when going back over a weld that has cooled, causing a void of slag, or even air. This is bad in any weld that matters. I don't want to doubt your guy, becuase I am sure he knows what he is doing, because when eveything is right the slag will just fall off. In the case where you have to beat your slag off, you may want to bump the heat up, just a touch...

I just wanted to express my opinions, because retracing a weld is a tricky thing. My suggestion for the group is to do exactly what Alec did. For the external welds, I would go with a person that has put his reputation on it for a few years. It seems like a lot to pay a guy that amount, but implosion is not a pretty thing I am sure!

Brad