RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Flyer

Carsten,

Great story about the comic. It sounds pretty much like Tintin stories!

There is no limit to the add-ons that one could put on a sub over time, but
for now I'm just worrying about the basics. So yes, the alpha base method
was what I had in mind. The other day the Naval Research Laboratory boat, a
"floating laboratory" for public relations purposes, docked 60 feet from my
office and I took a tour during my lunch break. They had a very interesting
360 degree camera that would make a great electronic periscope. Perhaps I
could mount it on one of the tail surfaces. But this is definitely in the
realm of far-off nice-to-haves. I don't really expect my moveable battery
will give me enough of an up-angle to see anything, but there are other
methods that might work.

- Years ago I built a very simple open frame with two wings for being towed
in SCUBA gear. The lift on the planes was such that I could very easily
"ski" with my head above the surface, even at minimal speeds. So its
possible I might be able to lift the nose that way in this sub.
- Another method would be to take a high speed run at the surface, like a
whale jump.
- A third method would be to put the sub in a vertical position and just
power up the thrusters. With 150 lbs of thrust I should be able to get the
dome clear out of the water and look around.

Naturally all of the above is pure conjecture and testing will tell.

Regarding the flood valve, if the sub is pointing up due to the drop weight
being dropped, then it should not matter where the valve is placed, the
water is going to run to the bottom of the boat and an air bubble collect in
the dome. What I would definitely put is an elbow directing it backwards,
simply because the pressure might be such I would not want to take a direct
hit!

thanks,

- Alec